Thursday, December 24, 2015
Wednesday, December 23, 2015
In 2014 I wrote of Game Group:
'Just read they are planning to re float on the stock market with a value of around 400 million pounds. It hasn't been that long since they went into administration.UPDATE - I did indeed go short for a little while but decided to close the position and focus on more boring investments. Anybody still on the short side will have a big smile on their face today, as the stock has fallen 38% against yesterday's close. It's no great surprise that sales are slumping for these guys. After all, they sell a digital product on the high street.
May be time to start sharpening the 'shorting' knives ; )'
My next favorite short: if my broker allowed for it I would short the bejeezers out of Fitbit, a US based fitness tracker company. Unfortunately, my broker is only accepting long only positions in this stock.
Monday, December 21, 2015
Monday, December 14, 2015
Wednesday, December 09, 2015
I've just received my DNA testing kit from 23andMe and am looking forward to finding out a bit more about my make up. I fully expect to find that I am half English Victorian Gentleman and half Japanese Ninja Warrior. This is how it works, right?
UPDATE - I paid £125 for this kit but it has now been reduced to £99 as a Christmas special offer. Feeling a touch irked from missing out on the discount, I e-mailed 23andMe and they have refunded £11, which was nice of them.
Sunday, December 06, 2015
Even though I didn't fully read this review of a book about the cultural history of libraries, the opening paragraph is a keeper:
"We are intrinsically nostalgic animals for whom mourning is a form of recognition. Our preferred genre is the elegy. As long as something remains obviously present, we pay little attention to it, but as soon as we believe that it’s fading away, we feel irresistibly attracted to the ruins"
Saturday, December 05, 2015
A great rendition of Adele's "Hello', in Nigerian pidgin English. Enjoy.
How has this only had 4k views?
Here are some sarcastic gems, scoured from the wastelands of the internet.
- I am busy right now, can I ignore you some other time?
- Just keep talking, I yawn when I’m interested.
- I’d agree with you but then we’d both be wrong.
- I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying. - Oscar Wilde
- I clapped because it’s finished, not because I like it.
- I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book - Groucho Marx
- Question: Do you know who I am? Answer: No, Why? Have you forgotten?
- Here, let me drop what's important to me and pay attention to you and all of your needs.
- I’m sorry while you were talking I was trying to figure where the hell you got the idea I cared.
- Person 1 : Watch my stuff. Me : Why? Is it going to do a trick?
- I never forget a face, but in your case I’ll be glad to make an exception.
- Sure I’ll help you out…the same way you came in.
- Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak. – Steven Wright
- Oh… I didn’t tell you… Then It must be none of your business.
- You are not as bad as people say, you are much, much worse.
- Now we know why some animals eat their own children.
- Are you always this stupid or are you making a special effort today.
- He always finds himself lost in thought; it’s unfamiliar territory.
- I like you. People say I’ve got no taste, but I like you.
- I would have liked to insult you, but the sad truth is that you wouldn’t understand me.
- I’d like to see things from your point of view, but I can’t seem to get my head that far up your ass.
- If you were twice as smart as you are now, you’d be absolutely stupid.
- I’m glad to see you’re not letting your education get in the way of your ignorance.
- I’m impressed, I’ve never met such a small mind inside such a big head before.
- Pardon me, but you’re obviously mistaking me for someone who gives a damn.
- She’s the first in her family born without tail.
- That man is cruelly depriving a village somewhere of an idiot.
- You grow on people, but so does cancer.
- Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go. - Oscar Wilde
- Sometimes I need what only you can provide: your absence. - Ashleigh Brilliant
- I feel so miserable without you, it's almost like having you here. - Stephen Bishop
- I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception. - Groucho Marx
- The trouble with her is that she lacks the power of conversation but not the power of speech. - George Bernard Shaw
- I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. - Mark Twain
- Weather forecast for tonight: dark. - George Carlin
- The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse who gets the cheese. - Steven Wright
- I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. - Fred Allen
- Children really brighten up a household - they never turn the lights off. - Ralph Bus Fred Allen
- A celebrity is a person who works hard all his life to become well-known, then wears dark glasses to avoid being recognized. - Sir Winston Churchill
- Don’t be so humble, you are not that great. - Jonathan Kellerman
- I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me. - Frank Lloyd Wright
I am attracted to the wabi-sabi aesthetic. It is humble versus loud, home-grown versus manufactured, natural versus synthetic, and rustic versus clinical. This new video from the The School of Life summarises the philosophy and finishes on a sage note of wisdom about how an appreciation of wabi-sabi can broaden and enhance a person's idea of beauty.